Thursday, December 10, 2009

Saying Goodbye


This is going to be my last post from Morocco, since I leave for Europe in 2 days. After 3 months of living abroad, here are some things I miss about home and some things I’m going to miss about Morocco.

Things I Miss Most About Home
1.     Mexican food: I would give so much for a good burrito or quesadilla.
2.     Fixed prices: sometimes I just want to know the price of something without having to engage in a heated debate.
3.     Traffic laws and crosswalks: not having to be scared for my life every time I cross a street will be nice for a change.
4.     Not being hassled: Meknes has relatively no hassle, but when traveling in big cities, especially Marrakesh, persistent Moroccans won’t leave you alone until you eat at their restaurant, sleep in their hotel, or buy their carpets.
5.     Cleanliness: I miss the clean air and clean streets of the states.
6.     Things open late: Meknes’ nightlife is pathetic at best. By 9 pm everything is closed and the streets are deserted.
7.     Cute girls: I love Morocco, but I must admit the female department is lacking.

Things I’ll Miss Most About Morocco
1.     Palais du Poulet: I’ll miss getting a heaping plate of chicken, rice and french fries for only $2.50.
2.     Cheap everything: cafes, buses, trains, taxis, hotels, restaurants, fruit, etc. I’m afraid I’ll have a heart attack when I see American or European prices again.
3.     Traveling: easy, affordable travel is so much more accessible in Morocco. In the States you have to have a car and a lot of money to go anywhere.
4.     Bargaining: sometimes I just don’t want to pay that much.
5.     Friendliness: If you think Americans know hospitality, then you’ve obviously never been to Morocco. Moroccans define hospitality.
6.     Cous-cous: I’ve grown to look forward to cous-cous Fridays.
7.     The medina: Shopping was never so exciting. How can it ever be fun again without shop owners yelling out bargains in Arabic, selling everything from soap to scarves to tea pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment